top of page

J Exchange Visitor Visa

Are you seeking specialized study in the United States?  Are you being offered on-job training opportunities in the United States?  Perhaps you will be giving a guest lecturer or professor at a United States university. We can help you obtain the necessary J-1 visa.

The exchange visitor visa program under section J is intended, much like section F, to provide for cultural and scholastic opportunities, but also is utilized by employers seeking to offer internships or on-the-job training. Currently, the following programs are being offered under J-1:

Au Pairs, Camp Counselors, College and University Students, Government Visitors, Interns, International Visitors, Physicians, Professors, Research Scholars, Secondary School, Students, Short-Term Scholars, Specialists, STEM Initiatives, Summer Work Travelers, Teachers, and Trainees.

To receive issuance of a J visa, you must be accepted into one of the foregoing State Department-approved programs, pay the SEVIS I-901 fee, file your DS-160 and accompanying fees, and then schedule a embassy or consulate interview.  You will additionally need to demonstrate you have sufficient financial resources to stay in the United States throughout the duration of your program.  


If you are granted a J visa following your consulate interview, to gain admission into the United States you must present your SEVIS Form DS-2019 (issued in your name by the program into which you were accepted) along with your passport to a United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agent, not more than thirty days before your program begins.  

bottom of page